Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Coventry Cathedral

Before taking a virtual tour of the Coventry Cathedral I thought it was unworthy to be called a holy site. I thought this because it was built to boost the moral of the English during World War 2 that I couldn’t be holy. To my suborned mind I could not call it worthy to be a holy place because I thought that for something to be holy that it needs to be built for God and for no other reason. Therefore I regraded Coventry Cathedral as a famous religious building but not a sacred place.

My opinion of this building has changed since watching the below YouTube clip by being in awe of all the little detail in the decorations of the building. I was also amazed by all the things that could be debated over being in a sacred place all had definitions of how it represents Gods love and compassion.

At Coventry Cathedral there are many 'Holy icons' such as a stone from Bethlehem and statues of the saints. They are many crosses throughout the cathedral that do not allow the mind to wonder of the point of Christianity. This keeps the attention focused on God which is a sign of what the cathedral is used for today.

The Cathedral is tall so you look up to see the roofs of the cathedral which can be seen as a sign of focusing our attention on heaven above.

My opinion on this building has differently changed and I have come to the conclusion that the Coventry Cathedral is indeed a sacred place.



No comments:

Post a Comment