Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Sacred and Profane in Christian Worship

To many Worship DVD’s are seen as a performance with the musicians seeking praise and the congregation giving praises to skills of earthly figures rather than god.



I was trying to deconstruct the clip by separating the key icons/elements into sacred and profane. When I viewed the clip I could find many profane things; like the expensive instruments and gear. But these are used to bring glory to God and because this connects between the scared and the profane I came to the conclusion that anything profane can become sacred if used in a way to glorify the chaos.

In this clip there is an Axis’s Mundi with the choir and the seating, with everything starting from the floor to the roof of the building. This is seen as an Axis Mundi by connecting the heaven and the earth. To me this gives the impression that this choir is reaching up past the building and even after it leaves the building that there is an angelic choir building all the way up into the centre of the chaos.

This clip could be debated to be all made up but the feeling I get when I listen to a clip like this is so amazing. I can agree with every word said. In this clip there is a close up of a dark skinned lady who is so deeply into worship which could be seen as racist by doing a close up on someone just because they are different. Too me personally I believe this is trying to show unity through the church and that ALL people of ALL nationality’s can come together as one to worship the creator.

For the stated reasons I believe that worship DVD’s and clips are great in exhibiting the ideas of the scared and the holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment