Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sacred Space in my Life and in the Wider World

I can indentify sacred space in my life in any area/place that I can pray, read, praise, fellowship, share, worship and respond to God. For me this can be at any place at anytime. The two most successful ways that II have found in my life to connect with the choas are as follows;

1. On camping trips (especially ones with church) where I can stay up and talk to other Christians. During this time we debate our faith, pray and overall glorify God for what he has done in our lives and where we need help. I believe that where I find the best connection is in this type of setting. This is because I can get into a deep and meaningfully conversation with someone, at a time that we won’t be stupid and play around but are sober and have open hearts. When I have these encounters I can really feel the presence of God over me and I feel enlightened by His Grace. In these situations I am normally with a small group of people which is my preference over being by myself or with a big group. So both my spiritual and personal preferences are met.

2. On my bus trip every afternoon I usually listen to worship and praise songs and sing them in my head. At one point in the trip we climb up a small hill, from this point I can see a suburb with heaps of houses, mountains, bushland, national parks, sand dunes and the beach. This is a point where all the natural and human wonders all come together and are represented as living together is harmony. It always seems to happen that as I have this 5 second sight that my I-Pod is deep into a worship/praise song and for a moment I have a really deep sense of awe towards God and His creation and feel like nothing else in the world matters.

In the wider world different religions find sacred space in meeting places (like churches and temples), relics (ancient artefacts of the forefathers), and places where special events took place (like Mecca for Muslims where Mohammed was born).

No comments:

Post a Comment